I wanted to take a break from going to museums and walking around in crowded tourists centers so I thought I would try to go hiking. Sarajevo hosted the 1984 Winter Olympics and the city is surrounded by these amazing hills. I went to the tourist center to see if they had any maps or information for me. They told me that there are only a few places where you can go hiking because most of the hills have not been cleared of landmines. During the war the Serbian forces filled those hills with landmines but didn't have a map of where they put them. It is very expensive to have people come in and clear regions of the mines. Bosnia is in a tough economic situation and the country does not have the money to do it. The tourist center recommended that I take a nature path that goes right along the Miljacka River. She said the views of the canyon and the river were beautiful. I walked the 8 km to the Goat Bridge. The bridge was one of the most important crossings on the trade route from Istanbul in Turkey to Sarajevo in the 1500's.
It was a beautiful walk. It was quiet and it didn't even feel like I was in a city anymore. People were strolling along or lying in the grass. Even though it was gorgeous and quiet, you still can't escape the war. I saw landmine warning signs and homes that were in ruins on the hillside. No matter where you go or what you are doing in this city, the war is constantly right in your face. My tour guide said yesterday that it becomes normal for people who live here, but I don't know how you could ever get used to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment