I am now in Dubrovnik, Croatia. It is a small city on the far southern coast of Croatia. It is on the Adriatic Sea. The "Old Town" as they call it is surrounded by these HUGE walls. From the sea the walls are built on top of the cliffs.
I read a lot in the museum today about how Dubrovnik was always getting attacked by other countries because it was such an important port city. It still is a big port city. There were lots of fishing boats coming in and out all day. Cruise ships also stop here. Tourism seems to be the biggest industry. I took a little tour boat that goes around the outside of the city and stops at an island (Lokrum). The older man driving the boat drove it until we got outside the docking area and then his son (grandson?) just takes over and drives the boat the rest of the time. He had to be younger than 10! He could barely see over the steering wheel.
The war in 1991-1992 is still on everyone's minds. The older man on the boat told me that during the war the city was under seige from the Serbian troops so no one could get in or out of the city. They used the tour boats to shuttle people to the outer islands where they they would be safe. There are memorials throughout the city remembering people who died defending Dubrovnik. I saw a photography exhibit today with pictures from Christmas 1991. It was very sad to look at them. The store fronts were are smashed in and people still came out boarded them up and them painted Merry Christmas designs on them. It shows you the resilency of the people here. Tomorrow I will leave the coast and move farther inland to Mostar, which is a city in Bosnia i Hercegovina. I am going to spend some time now just sitting around and staring at the Adriatic Sea while I can.
It's amazing a place of so much beauty went through so much turmoil....the scars are well hidden, but you really do not need to dig very deep to find them.... :(
ReplyDeletethe 3rd pic here is meant for sky diving!!!!
ReplyDelete