This morning I went to the bus station to buy my ticket for tomorrow to Bled, Slovenia. I purchased my ticket, put my wallet in my purse and then put my ticket in my bag. In the two seconds I put my ticket in my bag, my wallet was stolen out of my purse that was hanging on my shoulder. I didn't even feel a thing. I looked through the whole thing and around on the floor but I knew. I was pretty logical about it at that point and thought I should fill out the police report. I went to the station and calmy in a poor slovenian accent, told them my wallet was stolen and then I burst into tears. The woman filling out the report was so nice and every policeman who walked gave me that look of concern. After talking to my Mom and crying a little more, I went to the US embassy to see if they had any suggestions about wiring money. This was my frist trip to an embassy and to tell you the truth it was pretty comforting. They were very helpful and sent me in the right direction...Western Union. So, the next problem was how to transfer money from my bank account to Western Union, which apparently you can only do with your debit card, which was just stolen. Plan B. Wire money from my account to my parents account and then they Western Union it to me. Now we wait for the wire to go through and then for the Western Union. In the meantime, I have no Euros because I put them all in my wallet for souvenier buying today. Sadly, those of you wanting souveniers might be disappointed. Then, I remembered that I had money. I had over 6,000 Serbian Dinars (about $80) and I also had 300 ($40) Croatian Kuna. I went to the post office to exchange and was feeling pretty good. Then came the kicker. No one wants Serbian dinars. I am not kidding. I went to the post office and 4 banks and none of them would exchange it. I asked about the Croatian Kuna and they said yes. Thank you Croatia for being my lucky charm. Now I can eat dinner and get on the bus tomorrow to Bled and hopefully Western Union will come through today or at least tomorrow. I was upset this morning, but I am not going to let this ruin the trip. I lost a full day of running around between the embassy, banks and my hotel and I lost almost $500 in my wallet and the wallet my Mom gave me for Christmas. Despite that, I am choosing to believe that the person who stole it really needed it and maybe some Slovenian family is going to be thankful for it tonight.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Well, I am the victim of a crime...Croatia saved me.
This morning I went to the bus station to buy my ticket for tomorrow to Bled, Slovenia. I purchased my ticket, put my wallet in my purse and then put my ticket in my bag. In the two seconds I put my ticket in my bag, my wallet was stolen out of my purse that was hanging on my shoulder. I didn't even feel a thing. I looked through the whole thing and around on the floor but I knew. I was pretty logical about it at that point and thought I should fill out the police report. I went to the station and calmy in a poor slovenian accent, told them my wallet was stolen and then I burst into tears. The woman filling out the report was so nice and every policeman who walked gave me that look of concern. After talking to my Mom and crying a little more, I went to the US embassy to see if they had any suggestions about wiring money. This was my frist trip to an embassy and to tell you the truth it was pretty comforting. They were very helpful and sent me in the right direction...Western Union. So, the next problem was how to transfer money from my bank account to Western Union, which apparently you can only do with your debit card, which was just stolen. Plan B. Wire money from my account to my parents account and then they Western Union it to me. Now we wait for the wire to go through and then for the Western Union. In the meantime, I have no Euros because I put them all in my wallet for souvenier buying today. Sadly, those of you wanting souveniers might be disappointed. Then, I remembered that I had money. I had over 6,000 Serbian Dinars (about $80) and I also had 300 ($40) Croatian Kuna. I went to the post office to exchange and was feeling pretty good. Then came the kicker. No one wants Serbian dinars. I am not kidding. I went to the post office and 4 banks and none of them would exchange it. I asked about the Croatian Kuna and they said yes. Thank you Croatia for being my lucky charm. Now I can eat dinner and get on the bus tomorrow to Bled and hopefully Western Union will come through today or at least tomorrow. I was upset this morning, but I am not going to let this ruin the trip. I lost a full day of running around between the embassy, banks and my hotel and I lost almost $500 in my wallet and the wallet my Mom gave me for Christmas. Despite that, I am choosing to believe that the person who stole it really needed it and maybe some Slovenian family is going to be thankful for it tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So sorry about your loss - but I know the experience will make you stronger! And now you can say you've been in an embassy in a foreign country, not many people can say that.
ReplyDeleteLet me know if there is anything I can do to help from here, ok?
ReplyDeleteThanks Paulson-Wagers...I'm good to go. Back on track.
ReplyDeleteYou always have that optimism...I'm glad you remembered what you told me :)
ReplyDelete